On tnsnames.ora, the SERVICE NAME=<sid> should be change to SID=<sid> under what circumstances?

From: Jeffrey Yee <jeffyee_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Aug 2003 03:38:30 -0700

Hi,

I'm at my client office, and I found out that some of the databases I tried to connect to, needs to use SID=<ORACLE_SID>, instead of SERVICE NAME=<ORACLE_SID>, in the tnsnames.ora file. All the databases that I connect to, is at least Oracle8i or above.

After some investigation, I came to 2 conclusion, that causes this, but I'm not absolutely sure.

  1. If client and server is on the different side of the firewall
  2. if using the GLOBAL_DBNAME, that can be found in the listener.ora file.

Is this correct? Can someone help me to understand the concept behind this, like why the SERVICE NAME & GLOBAL_DBNAME doesn't support firewall.

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Jeffrey Yee Received on Thu Aug 14 2003 - 05:38:30 CDT