Re: How to set log archive mode parameters in 9i release2/

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:10:52 +0100

"Eric" <ericw24_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ZVB_a.8984$VG.335029_at_news20.bellglobal.com...
> The instance was started originally by using spfile which I just found,
> after set an ORA_SID_PFILE in the registry, now the init.ora is used when
> start the instance. All the three parameters take effect.
>
> Eric

You can alter parameters in the spfile from sqlplus as follows

alter system set <parameter> = <value> scope=<memory|spfile|both>;

eg
alter system set log_archive_start=true scope=spfile;

You can also create an editable file from the spfile by using create pfile from spfile;
and to apply changes from the file you edited create spfile from pfile;

I currently use an spfile (I like the fact that I can script parameter changes and put them in change documentation) and always create a human readable and editable copy of the spfile in a pfile - because you can screw your spfile up royally (technical DBA term sorry) to the point where the instance won't start because of incomptible parameters and you can't edit the spfile so you can't change the parameters......

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

--