Re: A few NG related questions

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 13 Aug 2003 22:22:19 -0700

jbradshaw777_at_yahoo.com (John) wrote

> My thinking was that amount of traffic is a good indicator of the
> popularity of a product.

On a Usenet *support* group? Think again. Where does popularity play a role in traffic volumes when the traffic volumes are about problems and the newsgroup about providing product support? Popularity is alt.binaries.pictures.blonde.bimbos

> I don't think anybody can dispute that ORACLE
> is a much more powerful product than SQL server. But if more people
> visit SQL server NGs than ORACLE, and if more now than before, it
> kinda makes you wonder about the trend.

What kind of people favours Microsoft products? What kind of people favours products like Oracle and Linux?

You get talkers who never RTFM. Who think going clickety-click with the mouse means not needing to have any grey matter. For whom the command line is a terrifying experience. Whose first question is "what button do I need to click" as oppose to "how does it work".

You get such people here too... but their stomping grounds are the microsoft.* newsgroups. Microsoft their product manufacturer of choice.

They never last long around here.

--
Billy