Re: TEMP tablespace file suddenly increasing in size

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 13 Aug 2003 17:24:31 -0700

"Anurag Varma" <avdbi_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ki5_a.17104$Bc2.14235_at_news02.roc.ny>...
> "Randi Wølner" <randiwolner_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bha603$4e0$1_at_services.kq.no...
> > Oracle 8.1.7.4 on AIX:
> >
> > We have the TEMP tablespace in an autoextensible file. The file has
> > "suddenly" started to grow. This might have to do with new code (views /
> > triggers / packages), and there has also been some bad performance at the
> > same time that the increasing size of the TEMP datafile was discovered.
> >
> > How can we find what code is making the TEMP-tablespace grow?
> >
> > If we change the datafile option to AUTOEXTEND=NO - what kind of trouble
> > might that cause?
> >
> > Randi W.
> >

> IMHO: Temp tablespace should *never* be set to autoextend. A rogue query can cause a lot of
> grief to you.
>
> A lot of times an abnormal growth in Temp tablespace points to a bad query.
> For example a query doing a cartesian join and then sorting/grouping the results.
> Find out who got this error and then inspect the query.
>
> Anurag

Just another minor possibility - if the new code is generating sorts, or other things like creating indices, that are dying or being killed in an unclean manner, it is conceivable that they are using up sort space and not releasing it due to death.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-883558.html