Re: Object refuses to drop

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:53:02 -0700

Maximus wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Maximus wrote:
> >
> > > database: Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.1.0
> > >
> > > I have been attempting to clean out a schema and there is an object that
> > > refuses to drop. If I issue "DROP TYPE ATTRIBUTE_TYP" the command fails
> > > with an ORA-04043, object does not exist. I've verified the object does
> > > indeed exist but any SQL to alter or drop it fails:
> > >
> > > SQL> CONNECT PROJECT/****@DB01.****.COM
> > > Connected.
> > > SQL> SELECT OWNER, OBJECT_NAME, OBJECT_TYPE
> > > 2 FROM ALL_OBJECTS WHERE OWNER='PROJECT';
> > >
> > > OWNER OBJECT_NAME
> OBJECT_TYPE
> >
> > ------------------------------ ------------------------------ ------------
> --
> > > ----
> > > PROJECT ATTRIBUTE_TYP TYPE
> > >
> > > SQL> DROP TYPE ATTRIBUTE_TYP;
> > > DROP TYPE ATTRIBUTE_TYP
> > > *
> > > ERROR at line 1:
> > > ORA-04043: object ATTRIBUTE_TYP does not exist
> > >
> > > How the heck can I get rid of this object... go into sys.obj$ and delete
> it
> > > manually?
> >
> > Anyone that would even suggest going into sys.<anything> and making a
> change
> > should
> > have their keyboard taken away. I am staggered by the implications.

> Subtle way to tell me that's a no-no... lol
>

> > When you attempt to drop it are you logged on as project?
>

> Yes.
>

> The object also appears in Enterprise Manager under schema "PROJECT" and
> I've tried the GUI "remove" but same error... object does not exist.

If you can drop and recreate the schema PROJECT do so.

CONN / AS SYSDBA
DROP USER PROJECT CASCADE; Then recreate the objects and data you need from a backup or export.

If you are convinced that this is a case of data dictionary corruption then run catalog.sql, catproc.sql, and utl_rp.sql from the rdbms/admin directory.

If that doesn't solve the problem then open an iTAR with Oracle. Under no circumstances should you attempt to directly alter the data dictionary without their input.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu