Re: capture oracle errors

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 13 Aug 2003 07:08:17 -0700

Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message news:<3F37C21C.C1153318_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>...
> You can set an event in your INIT.ORA to generate a trace file when a
> specific Oracle error is reached. Does that help solve your problem? For
> instance, to capture ORA-901 add the following to your INIT.ORA and
> bounce the database:
>
> EVENT="901 TRACE NAME ERRORSTACK FOREVER"
>

> HTH,
> Brian

Brian,

As enticing as it sounds to have all such info dumped into udump, I have a bit of paranoia regarding setting events for routine use. Perhaps I was too scared off by the note: [NOTE:75713.1] "Important Customer information about using Numeric Events"

3. If a problem occurs when an event is set then it is worth seeing if the same problem reproduces without the event set. This is because events can enable code specific paths which are not normally used.

I think that the trigger route sounds better than introducing new code paths.

just my opinion.

Paul