Re: Help: How to deal with tempfile

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:03:22 -0500

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 06:22:50 +0200, Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 02:49:32 GMT, "joe bayer"
><joebayerii(no-spam)@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I am using 9.2.0.3 on red hat linux.
>>I am trying to clone a database on the same box.
>>
>>Here is what I did
>>1) shut down the original database A.
>>2) copy all the redo log file, datafile, control file and tempfile to the
>>new location
>>3) edit the init file to point to the new controlfile,
>>4) mount the database
>>5) alter database rename datafile 'xxx' to 'yyyy'
>>it works fine with ll the datafile and redo log file,
>>but I can not rename tempfile
>>6 )start, mount and then open the cloned database B.
>>
>>but I can not start the database A now, because the database can not
>>recognize the tempfile any more.
>>
>>What is the correct way of doing it?
>>
>>Your help is highly appreciated.
>>
>Your post is contradictory. If you clone database A to get database B,
>database A doesn't change, does it.?
>So would there be any reason for the unaffected database A not to
>open.
>Also tempfiles are tempfiles: they aren't part of backup and it
>should be possible to recreate them on the fly.
>

>Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>
>To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

I'm not sure of the impact, but I didn't see any mention of doing anything with the control file on the cloned db. If the OP didn't leave anything out, I see him starting the clone db with an unalterd copy of the original control file. What would be the fallout from that? Received on Wed Aug 13 2003 - 08:03:22 CDT