Re: Trace Files

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:30:40 +0100

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3F397AEA.6138DCCA_at_exxesolutions.com...
> Niall Litchfield wrote:
>
> > "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message

> > > Tracing will only make things slower and will not do anything to speed
> > > things up. I'd throw away Ora Excel as it does nothing that can't be
> > > done faster and more efficiently with spool. But then again I'd throw
> > > away Excel because it can't do anything that can't be done better in
> > > Oracle in the first place.
> >
> > More than a little harsh, unless I've missed the charting facilities in
> > Oracle to take just one example.
> >
> > --
> > Niall Litchfield
> > Oracle DBA
> > Audit Commission UK
>
> Point taken. But one should not chart in a program that is designed to
> corrupt raw data.

:(. I can see the high level spec for XL2008 now.

  1. must corrupt raw data
  2. must have 95 'assistants' that do not assist.
  3. auto-update program from internet without intervention
  4. .net leveraged (or it may be architected) will not run at all in the presence of a JVM.
  5. er thats it.

> Connect Crystal, Brio, Cognos, anything to Oracle. But leave the data
where
> its integrity and security can be guaranteed.

I think/hope that most xl users download the data to the spreadsheet rather than operate whilst connected to the db. Then of course the data integrity and security is guaranteed by constraints,triggers,RI etc. No-one would ever leave all this out of a db because it is all handled in the application and then connect reporting tools to it with read/write privs now would they :(

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA