Re: Trace Files

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 12 Aug 2003 22:13:10 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote

> Well that and the fact that it is a tool that does something easily done
> with spool.

With the move of Mac from OS/9 to OS/X, Mac users were (still are) exposed to a command line for the first time. A friend told me that a guy was selling this "tool" $25 a pop to Mac users... which consists nothing but of a shell script with a "GUI interface" to it.

Users are... well the word stupid comes to mind.

Reminds me of a time that one of my warehouse users using Cognos insisted that pulling down millions of fact rows and then aggregating them in Cognos (which happens when you use Cognos functions as oppose to Oracle ones) were faster than letting the OPS MPP doing the aggregation... And nothing I said could convince him otherwise.

Or when "the powers that be" decide on spending millions on a proprietary Internet security system, while the same could be done, better, more flexible, and more secure, using off-the-shelve software... (and the white paper by the US NSA on how they use this off-the-shelve software was conveniently ignored).

I often wonder what happened to Logic.. if he is still alive?

--
Billy