Re: Help: How to deal with tempfile

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 06:22:50 +0200

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 02:49:32 GMT, "joe bayer" <joebayerii(no-spam)@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am using 9.2.0.3 on red hat linux.
>I am trying to clone a database on the same box.
>
>Here is what I did
>1) shut down the original database A.
>2) copy all the redo log file, datafile, control file and tempfile to the
>new location
>3) edit the init file to point to the new controlfile,
>4) mount the database
>5) alter database rename datafile 'xxx' to 'yyyy'
>it works fine with ll the datafile and redo log file,
>but I can not rename tempfile
>6 )start, mount and then open the cloned database B.
>
>but I can not start the database A now, because the database can not
>recognize the tempfile any more.
>
>What is the correct way of doing it?
>
>Your help is highly appreciated.

Your post is contradictory. If you clone database A to get database B, database A doesn't change, does it.?
So would there be any reason for the unaffected database A not to open.
Also tempfiles are tempfiles: they aren't part of backup and it should be possible to recreate them on the fly.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Aug 12 2003 - 23:22:50 CDT