Re: someone noticed 90 percent indians posting on asktom.oracle.com

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 23:28:43 +1000

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:3f38dfb2$0$15033$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net...

> > Unis are not mainstream education for the masses. Not now and even less
> > the way education is going.
>
> Maybe not in your neck of the woods. In the UK we have this daft target to
> get 50% of the school leaving population through University. Assuming this
> half assed target doesn't die a quick death (and all political parties seem
> to support it cos education is good right?) then University education will
> become exactly mainstream education for the masses, a crying shame in my
> view.

Maybe. I'd rather have that, than this quaint notion our government has that anyone taking a uni course has to fork out 100 grand for it. Which means it is effectively out of reach for the vast majority of the population. Mind you: no guarantees of quality, suitability, whatever: just cough up the moolah and they'll supply the diploma.

I don't think so...

Then again, if they hadn't spent the last 20 years selling courses to foreign students for that price (plus accomodation) and making a motza out of it, maybe we'd have someone sensible in charge of education. Unfortunately, we have a bean counter.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto