Re: Can DBA Jobs be Outsourced ???

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 07:19:48 -0500

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 03:26:40 GMT, "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_no_spam.comcast.net> wrote:

>comments embedded
>
>"Tanel Poder" <tanel@@peldik.com> wrote in message
>> the
>>
>> To identify IO bottlenecks by looking at disk drive LEDs in server room ;)
>>
>> But seriously - you can't do software development completely overseas -
>you
>> have to have at least analysts, who are facing the customers and doing
>> interviews. Yeah, sure you can do those over phone or e-mail as well, but
>> you'll spend 10 times more time on it that way & lose in quality of
>> analysis. A simple programmer on the other hand, will get the
>specification
>> and return code according to this spec. This can be done anywhere.
>
>This is the big problem. (one the bean counters cannot understand) Often in
>software development the specification et al is not complete or it assumes a
>certain level of "domain knowldege". In these code shops they do not
>(usually) have domain knowledge and thus they "code to the specification".
>The result is that they often have to do it multiple times because the spec
>writer assumes a level of domain knowledge that does not exist. (given the
>time cost and the multiple redo costs I don't think it is cheaper, but often
>it is just the annual salary that gets looked at and not the total
>productivity.) Had a friend that did this type of thing for 5 years long
>before it was fashionable to do so. He spent huge amounts of time writing
>specifications that had to contain basic domain knowledge. The result was
>the process was a lot slower and more expensive.
>Jim

When I was in apps, I always dreaded having to write specs for an outside coder. By the time I got the spec detailed enough, I could have just as well written the code myself. Heck, at some points I would have to force myself *not* to write the code *as* the spec, just to keep from insulting the coder. End result was the coding could have been 90% complete when it was just beginning, and we could have saved the entire cost of the outside coder.

<snip>