Re: database could not be started

From: Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:47:37 -0500

--
<zifnab_at_islandsofmyth.remove.org> wrote in message

> "Burton Peltier" <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in
>

> I think you might slightly be missing Quarkman's point here, maybe a
> timeline will help (assuming I understand it correctly as well).
>
> time A ) Cold backup taken including redo logs
> time B ) Backup complete
> time C ) Database opens, users start doing transactions. Recorded in Redo
> not archived yet.
The "not archived yet" is key to any use of the REDO logs you are referring to. I don't think anyone was advocating using the "current" REDO logs after restoring from a cold backup. I suppose that would work if you ensured the "not archived yet". I say use the REDO logs backed up at the same time as the cold backup and not have to worry about a "clean shutdown" . Quarkman (and others) say don't use any REDO logs (correct me if I say this incorrectly) , make sure you always have a "clean shutdown", and do an "open reset logs" after recovering from a cold backup (which re-creates empty REDO logs) and never backup REDO logs.
> time D ) For whatever reasons the cold backup needs to be applied from
> time A.
> time E ) Time A's cold backup is restored including redo logs.
> time F ) database reopens
>
> At time F you have now lost any transactions from C that were not
> archived yet because you restored the full cold backup + redo logs.
I thought Quarkman was advocating a reset logs after recovering the "clean shutdown" datafiles of the cold backup! This means you lose the same transactions in C .