Re: Oracle 8 Tuning

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 12:48:49 GMT

"Mike" <learning_dba_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d0966715.0308102033.1a4ee2ee_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi All,
>
> I have around 25 databases on my HP Unix Box.These databases are
> running on Oracle 8.0.5.I need to start looking at the performance
> aspects of these databases.Can someone please tell me what areas do I
> concentrate on?
>
> TIA

Hi Mike,

First thing I would recommend is not to hit the 30 database figure, a well known limitation with Oracle on a single server ;)

As others have mentioned, running this many databases on the same server is questionable and consolidating databases thereby reducing overlapping overheads would be a good first step. Curious why you now need to start looking at performance aspects, generally it's an on-going consideration. I could spend a whole week talking about performance tuning (and I have) but if I were to recommend one thing to focus on, it would be to look at what code is run on these databases and ensure it's as tuned as can be. Add a touch of basic DBA fundamental tinkering, ensure your data is spread across sufficient disks (which considering your lack of hardware could also be an issue) and you'll be well on your way ...

Good Luck

Richard Received on Mon Aug 11 2003 - 07:48:49 CDT