Re: Oracle 8 Tuning

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 11 Aug 2003 02:27:30 -0700

learning_dba_at_yahoo.com (Mike) wrote :

> I have around 25 databases on my HP Unix Box.These databases are
> running on Oracle 8.0.5.I need to start looking at the performance
> aspects of these databases.Can someone please tell me what areas do I
> concentrate on?

Not having 25 physical Oracle databases on a single box. Besides the issue of SYSTEM, CONTROLFILES, LOGS, UNDO & TEMP space per database, each physical db also requires an instance, and each instance requires memory and CPU power. Then there's the issue of configuration, administration, backup and so on... what is easier and more secure? Doing it on a single database, or trying to cater for 25 databases?

Oracle is not SQL-Server in that regard (SQL Server database != Oracle database, but SQL Server database = Oracle schema)

Secondly, I would think an upgrade to 8.1.7 will go down nicely too while putting these 25 databases into a single physical database.

--
Billy