Log file I/O throughput

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:21:00 +0100

Hi Matt,

>> Or
>> to drop the mirrored copy altogether since redundancy in built into
>> the I/O subsystem (Hitachi S.A.N).

Picture this, Oracle mirrors your logfiles and an operator, in a moment of weakness, deletes one of the mirrored copies. The remaining mirrors will not be deleted.

Now, run the same thought experiment again, but this time with OS (or SAN) mirroring, this time what happens when one of the mirrored copies gets deleted - the mirrors are also deleted leaving you with nothing.

Same applies to control files - don't let the OS mirror than unless Oracle is also mirroring.

OK, I admit the last time I tried this was on the Oracle 7 backup & recovery course, but it probably still applies.

Cheers,
Norm.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator