A single dedicated server shared between multiple sessions?

From: Vsevolod Afanassiev <vafanassiev_at_aapt.com.au>
Date: 10 Aug 2003 19:50:06 -0700

Hi,

We have a plain old client-server type application with client written in Oracle Forms 6i running on Windows and Oracle 8.1.6 at the back end (on Sun Solaris). No MTS, no Web Forms, no Connection Manager or any other funny stuff. The Forms (we only have .fmx files) are written in such way that every time a user opens a new form new Oracle session is established - so forms can be commited/rolled back independently. It all works fine and with 100 - 200 users connected we get 500 - 700 Oracle sessions.

I noticed that while we have 500 - 700 sessions the number of dedicated server processes is much lower. It appears that a single dedicated server (a process with name "oracleSID") is shared between all sessions started by the same user (from the same parent form). Is it standard Forms option? OCI option?

Thanks Received on Sun Aug 10 2003 - 21:50:06 CDT