Re: question on 9iAS, backups and different platforms

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 16:41:42 -0700

pheonix1t wrote:
> hello,
> before I get too far with my current project i'd like to run this past
> the experienced people on this list to see what they've seen regarding
> this issue.
> I have to deploy an oracle 9iAS server. For now, we have the windows
> 2000 disks for this....but eventually the whole 9iAS system will be pure
> linux. I didn't read too much about doing backups for 9iAS or how much
> trouble it is to move apps. between platforms (windows to linux).
> Supposedly, the 9iAS package makes the applications independant of the
> operating system.....so in theory this shouldn't be too much of a
> pain...but we all know how much theory actually works in a production
> setting!
> Are there any issues about this that I should be aware of....I can get
> the windows servers up sooner than I can the linux servers. But once
> done, the linux servers will run with less problems than the windows ones.
> I'd like to setup the 9iAS on windows, develop the apps, then while
> that's being done I can setup the linux servers, then move the apps to
> the linux servers running 9iAS. Does this sound reasonable or should I
> bite the bullet and forget the "quick and dirty" windows approach and
> just take the time to setup linux instead?
> Also...I got a bit of an odd request yesterday. Can oracle serve as a
> file server to store a bunch of stuff that is being shared on a network?
> I don't think so. But I did recall the Collaboration Suite does
> something like this, but you can't just use windows explorer to see the
> shared files....you have to use an oracle client to see all of your
> stuff. Can something like this be done? The reason is that this
> medical center has a very strict way they have setup their folder
> structure for the shared files. Like I said....I'm not sure, but if
> anyone can confirm this, that would be cool!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Oskar

On OTN is a White Paper dated April 2003, IIRC. The title is quite similar to
"Oracle9i Application Server:
Backup and Recovery"
along with the paper is a Perl based utility to either completely or incrementally backup mid-tier nodes plus infrastructure nodes.

You might want to check it out.

HTH & YMMV HAND! Received on Fri Aug 08 2003 - 18:41:42 CDT