LTRIM bug?

From: Ed Wong <ewong_at_mail.com>
Date: 8 Aug 2003 12:16:59 -0700

I am using a ltrim function and experiencing a weird result. I am trying to cut off a string 'COMPANY-' on the left side but I got different results with different texts (see below). The 2nd query result is incorrect as the 'C' is missing. It seems to me that if the first character after trim is the same as the first character before trims, Oracle cut the first character off the resulting string. Anyone experiencing this problem? I am on 8.1.7.2.0 EE Sun Solaris 2.8.

SQL> select ltrim('COMPANY-JOHN','COMPANY-') from dual;

LTRI

JOHN SQL> select ltrim('COMPANY-CHARLIE','COMPANY-') from dual;

LTRIM(

HARLIE Thanks,
ewong Received on Fri Aug 08 2003 - 14:16:59 CDT