Re: SYS vs. SYSTEM

From: quarkman <quarkman_at_myrealbox.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 05:13:03 +1000

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 16:04:41 +0300, Tanel Poder <tanel@@peldik.com> wrote:

>> Sorry, but then you misunderstand. An instance is one thing. And a
> database
>> is quite another. There is no relationship between the two, other than
>> forged by db_name and control_files in the init.ora you specify when
>> starting an instance (which can always be changed).
>
> I think Paul was refferring to english word "instance", not Oracle term
> "instance".
>
> I could have an instance of object for example, or instance of file or
> request as well.
>
> Tanel.

I know what he was referring to.

But you don't have an instance of a database, in your sense, until you start cloning, or until you create your second and third databases. And then one would be well advised to pick a different name to describe one clone versus the other, or one database versus the other, since that particular word has a specific meaning in the context of Oracle's documentation.

Besides, the full quote reads (IIRC) 'the dba starts up an instance of the database', and is thus (a) referring to *the* Instance not an instance and (b) uses the word "of" to imply possession of the database by the Instance, which is wrong.

But enough of such navel-gazing.

I don't know why we just don't all follow Lewis Carrol, and use words with whatever meaning we want them to have.

SYS is a table, and v$s are roles, and privileges go nice with a bit of cheese.

~QM Received on Fri Aug 08 2003 - 14:13:03 CDT