how to avoid fast full scan of index?

From: oofoof <oofoofoof_at_ureach.com>
Date: 8 Aug 2003 09:02:25 -0700

I have a large query generated by a tool that joins tables A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I
I modified the query to produce the same results by joining tables: A-F-G-H-I

A composite index is used by Oracle on table G in both queries, but in the first case, Oracle uses an index range scan on that index while in the second case, Oracle uses a fast full scan on the same index. So, instead of the second query running faster (joins fewer tables), it runs slower. The query selects only a small subset of entries in the index and the index has the 2 columns required to satisfy the query (no table access is necessary). What can I do to avoid the fast full scan? I could not find a hint that accomplished it. Will building a histogram on the index help? Received on Fri Aug 08 2003 - 11:02:25 CDT