Question of "Kill Session"

From: kiber <member34753_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 13:18:26 +0000

Hi All,

I looked through docs, but found nothing ((( I have some third-party application, which spawn many Oracle sessions, but didn't close them all after close (((( I need to close these orphant sessions.
I use Oracle 9i on W2k.

This is the quotation from doc about "alter system kill session":
"Marks a session as dead, rolls back ongoing transactions, releases all
session locks, and partially recovers session resources.  If the session is performing some activity that must be completed,  such as waiting for a reply from a remote database or rolling back a  transaction, Oracle waits for this activity to complete, marks the  session as dead, and then returns control to you. If the waiting  lasts a minute, Oracle marks the session to be killed and returns  control to you with a message that the session is marked to be  killed. The PMON background process then marks the session as dead  when the activity is complete.
 Whether or not the session has an ongoing transaction, Oracle does not  recover the entire session state until the session user issues a  request to the session and receives a message that the session has  been killed."

Does it mean that if I have some long running query, which run more than a minute after DBA typed "alter system kill session", session would be marked as KILLED and If I forgot to Commit/Rollback or I couldn't (for instance, because session was created by third party application) after this long-running query, than my session would be waste some server resources for ever? I tried to find some parameters regarding timeouts for such situation, but it was fruitless ((( Does it help to use profiles with idle_time limit?

"IMMEDIATE - rolls back ongoing transactions, releases all session
locks, recovers the entire session state, and returns control to you immediately."

I tried to issue "alter system kill session immediate" - but session was marked as killed - it means that my session wastes some server resources again as I mention above!!!