Re: "Oracle Server" also include "Oracle Database" ?

From: Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 00:43:05 -0500

To me, the term Oracle Server is just the machine/OS . So, a machine/server with just the OS (and no Oracle software) is the "Oracle Server" in this context.

The Oracle Database is installed on the machine and this is truely Oracle software. You can have many Oracle Databases on 1 "Oracle Server" using the above definition.

Note: If you are thinking in Sqlserver terms, a "Database" in Sqlserver is like a Schema/Owner in Oracle and a Sql "Server" is like an Oracle Database.

Also, basically an Oracle instance and database are one and the same, unless you are using RAC (or it's old name Parallel Server). With RAC, you can have multiple instances hitting the same database. Not sure this is anwhere near the official definition by Oracle, but I usually think of the database as just the files and the instance is the processes to manage the files, memory, cpu usage, etc. .