Re: MySQL 4

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 01:17:51 GMT

Maximus wrote:

> "Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> > "Maximus" <qweqwe_at_qwqwewq.com> wrote in message
> >

> > > MySQL is fast and simple, sometimes you just don't need all that fluff
> that
> > > comes with Oracle.
> >

> > and comes with just about ANY other database that claims
> > to be relational?
> >
> > BTW: fks, triggers and procedures are "fluff"?
> > I've got a suggestion: if you don't want "fluff"
> > like that, try using DBASE4. It should be real
> > cheap now. And it will be "fast and simple".
> > Should beat the crap out of mysql nowadays,
> > with a good P4 processor.
>
> Of course all of that fluff is handy, but as I said, sometimes you just
> don't need it. I utilize both, where cost is a factor I use MySQL, where it
> isn't I use Oracle. If you're on the green, use a putter, if you're on the
> tee, use a driver

Your absolutely right.

The thing is, a lot of people end up deciding they need to build the whole golf course instead of paying some green fees. First they inherit a couple of acres, then they build the course, then they end up maintaining the whole damned course instead of playing on it and maybe moving around to other courses. After a while they're in a rut - problem is, they can't ask others to play & pay or there's tax on top of everything.

Point being, there is a whole pile of stuff besides fluff in the Oracle enviroment that a lot of people end up coding from scratch simply because they assume that Oracle is a commercial MySQL. Received on Thu Aug 07 2003 - 20:17:51 CDT