Re: Can't see a RAC instance in available targets (to set events and run Jobs).

From: quarkman <quarkman_at_myrealbox.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 21:51:17 +1000

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 13:01:12 +0200, Kantix" dot <cantisano_at_tin.it> wrote:

>> Check your listener.ora. For a start, unless the services are listed
>> explicitly in the SID_LIST section, the agent doesn't know about them,
>> and
>> they won't be discovered. Second, make sure you've set up the init.ora
>> for
>> both nodes/instances so that automatic registration of the instances
>> with
>> their respective listeners works. Registration will require you use
>> SERVICE_NAME= rather than SID= if you want to be able to connect to a
>> single entity, the cluster... which you'll need for load balancing and
>> failover purposes. Third, make sure each instance is registering itself
>> correctly with the *remote* listeners (so, for #2, you need to set
>> local_listener, and for #3, you need to set remote_listener).
>>
>> In short, post your listener.ora, your init.ora and your tnsnames.ora if
>> you want a fuller answer.
>>
>> ~QM
>
> Hi,
> excuse me for replying late but I've had a lot of other things to do.
> As I told before I can connect, through the OMS, to the (2) nodes of the
> cluster.
> But I can't set jobs on it.
> This is the entry in the tnsnames on the second node, the sids are pgol2
> and
> pgol1 the db_name is pgoldb, service_names is
> PGOLDB =
Like I said: look at your listener.ora. It has an explicir SID_DESC listing for EXTPROC, but not for both the instances (unless I'm reading it wrong). I see PGOL2 listed, but not PGOL1. If both are not listed, then the agent on the node for this listener won't know that both exist. You'll see both instances listed in OEM, because each node (and hence each agent) knows about its own instance, but that's two separate instance. You need both listeners to know about both instances.

You also need to stop using SID=xxxx, because that doesn't permit a single cluster to be viewed as a single entity. You need SERVICE=yyy and set that to be the single service name that both instances use to register with the listener.

And you also need both instances to register with both listeners if you want load balancing (not the issue at hand, I realise) in which case... where is your remote_listener parameter in your init.ora??

(All of which was mentioned in my first reply)

~QM Received on Thu Aug 07 2003 - 06:51:17 CDT