Re: Oracle 8 and MTS: how to set the dispatcher port

From: Holger Marzen <holger_at_marzen.de>
Date: 7 Aug 2003 10:19:53 GMT

> On 7 Aug 2003 08:19:26 GMT, Holger Marzen <holger_at_marzen.de> wrote:
>

>> MTS it was only destination port 1521, but now we had to open port 32830
>> as well. So far, so good. But what happens if I restart Oracle? Will
>> another dispatcher port be randomly choosen? That woul be bad because we
>> would have to change the firewall rules after every restart of Oracle.
>>
>> Would be
>>
>> |mts_listener_address="(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(port=32830))"
>>
>> the right approach to force the dispatcher port to 32830.
>>

> The default listener listens on TCP/IP at port 1521. If you don't change
> those parameters, then dispatchers already know where to go to register
> themselves with the listener. You only need to set local_listener when you
> have a listener which is using either a different protocol or a different
> listening address. It appears you have neither different, so you don't need
> the local_listener parameter (and you certainly don't need the
> mts_listener_address version of it).

OK, but how can I set the port where the dispatcher listens? Or is it hardcoded in Oracle and will always be 32830? I don't think that it is a fixed port, else only one dispatcher could be active.

Unfortunately I found something very disappointing: http://www.pauck.de/marco/misc/oracle_and_firewalls.html

  1. There is no satisfactory solution for allowing SQL*Net traffic through FW if Oracle is configured as MTS or pre-spawned servers. No application proxy at present handle this.

Any better news? Received on Thu Aug 07 2003 - 05:19:53 CDT