Re: HOT Backups - Online Backups

From: quarkman <quarkman_at_myrealbox.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 19:36:07 +1000

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 23:21:37 +0200, Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 20:55:16 GMT, Dave Hau
> <davehau_nospam_123_at_nospam_netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> The redo log files are backed up automatically by running the database
>> in ARCHIVELOG mode.
>
> Yes, but do you have plenty of diskspace to retain all your
> archivelogs between backups? Or do you have a sysadmin who finds lack
> of diskspace and just deletes them.? You aren't telling me you advise
> NOT to backup the archivelogs? You probably never had a crash!
> Your advice is utterly dangerous and irresponsible
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Sybrand: I believe the original question was whether ONLINE redo logs should be backed up, not archived ones. And the correct answer is: never back up the online logs, because it's at a minimum unnecessary (because ARCH has just done that for you). And worst case scenario is that it's positively dangerous to back them up, because they will present an irresistable opportunity when it comes time to restore things... all over the top of your truly current online logs, and thus data will be lost.

The advice David gave is therefore correct in the context in which it was proffered.

~QM Received on Thu Aug 07 2003 - 04:36:07 CDT