Re: Can DBA Jobs be Outsourced ???

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 6 Aug 2003 23:29:48 -0700

"Syltrem" <syltremzulu_at_videotron.com> wrote ..

> Can you explain why " the DBA has to be present at the location to do the
> maintenance work" ?

Accessibility. Communication. A brick-and-mortar thing.

There's no argument at all that the job can be done from anywhere.

However, "they" usually want someone they can talk face to gace to. "They" want to see that someone as a desk in the office doing his thing.

The same problem as faced by Internet banks.. people are traditional. They want to see brick and mortar when banking. Same thing in our industry. Management, project leaders and so on.. they want to physically see the body in the office behind the desk in order to feel that they have control about what's happening and what is suppose to happen. In order to call that quick meeting. Whatever.

Of course there are the exceptions.. but this is the norm in my experience of being a contractor now for many years. I can easily (and at times, even better) do the job from my home office. I have yet to find management in any company I have contracted for through the years, finding this idea comfortable. Thus 90% and even more of my time is usually spend on-site for no reason other than that.

--
Billy