Re: emca crashes

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 6 Aug 2003 22:34:56 -0700

Maurizio Monticelli <mauri_at_justdoit.ch> wrote i

> i got this message:
> SIGSEGV 11* segmentation violation
> stackbase=4157FA60, stackpointer=4157E714

Ugly. This is akin to the old GPF error in Windows. Invalid referencing of memory.

> i select:
> - configure local oracle management server > next
> - Create a new repository > next
> the it crashes immediatly! without any other window.
<snipped>

Looking through the error output, it seems that it occurs while updating the screen, implying some X compatibility problems...

If I recall correctly, there were issues with RH 7.3 and Oracle 8i/9i wrt gclib and java versioning..? Could it not be that?

My suggestion is to look at upgrading your RH 7.3 system.. after all, that is the only component you can change in this mix. Make sure you're running a Java VM that is supported by Oracle's java tools and that gclib is what Oracle is expecting it to be.

If you think it could be X, you can experiment with different window managers and see if that makes a difference. The easiest would be via VNCserver. Vi $HOME/.vnc/xstartup and change window managers (do not load gnome or kde at all in that VNCserver). Set the DISPLAY in the sh and run emca and see what happens.

--
Billy