Which backup file?

From: Cory Brooks <coryb_at_nc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 00:32:06 GMT

If I'm using rman and have a backup that starts at 7 and ends at 8 and need to do a point in time recovery to 7:45, a point in time when some but not all files in the DB will have been copied onto the backup medium. Clearly for those files which have not yet been copied, Oracle would need to go back to the previous backup and roll forward. My question is for those files that have been completely copied in the latest backup, that is, those files copied before 7:45, do Oracle and rman communicate to use the newer backup of the files that were copied before 7:45 to reduce the amount of changes that must be applied from the logs?

Oracle would still have to read through all logs from the earlier backup for those files that have not been copied. I'm wondering if there is a benefit to reducing the amount of changes to be applied.

Thanks,
Cory Received on Wed Aug 06 2003 - 19:32:06 CDT