Re: Tracing SQL to find out what is causing hangs

From: Philip Nelson <teamdba_at_scotdb.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 22:09:24 +0100

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 20:45:35 +0000, Brian Peasland wrote:

> Why do we see more and more of these caveats every day?

I think it's called "management planning". We have 3 Oracle DBAs (out of a DBA team of 6), company standards about providing adequate cover ... and yet all 3 manage to book holidays for the same 10 days !!!

> Oops.....I must have taken a left turn at Albuquerque. Ok....back on
> track now.....

I hope the above three don't take a wrong turning on the way back from the Canaries, Germany and other far flung corners otherwise ... <G>.

> The DBMS_SYSTEM.SET_SQL_TRACE_IN_SESSION procedure can be used to start
> a trace in current session. You'll need to know the session's SID and
> SERIAL# which can be gleaned from V$SESSION. The resulting trace file(s)
> will be found in the directory denoted by the USER_DUMP_DEST param.

Thanks for that info : I'll look into that. I'd actually prefer to turn a system wide trace on until the problem occurs (I know the overhead ...) but this is certainly an option.

> Have fun!
> Brian

I'm sure I will !!!

Phil
(DB2 for AIX, DB2 for Solaris, DB2 for OS/390, IMS and now Oracle .. just waiting for SQL Server, Sybase and Informix to join the party !!!) Received on Wed Aug 06 2003 - 16:09:24 CDT