Re: analyzing slow connections

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 23:44:35 +0200

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 15:50:52 -0400, "Jerry Dubuke" <jdubuke_at_not.gpdservices.com> wrote:

>I don't quite understand the reply here.
>"that shouldn't happen and indicates you have serious problems on the
>database server"
>what are you referring to? The fact that the response time on the server
>went through the floor when I turned on tracing?

Exactly. The impact of this shouldn't be noticeable. It will fill up your disk, that is all.

 I got 5 users in a row
>calling me about repsonse of the system when I turned it on, and after I
>turned it off, I called them back, and they said all is well again.
>
>I also don't understand what you mean about "not buying my story about the
>client". What purpose would I possibly have to not give you all details at
>my disposal? Net8 assistant crashes when I try to open it - nothing more,
>nothing less. If, in fact, I could edit the sqlnet.ora manually with 3
>lines, could you tell me what/where the lines are and go? I would be more
>than happy to do that.

trace_level_client = 16
trace_unique_client = true
trace_directory_client = <any sensible directory>

(as documented of course, and posted MANY times)

>You then say I should run the sql*plus for a select statement - this is not
>using ODBC is it?

Yes

 I mentioned that I can connect fine with sql worksheet,
>and I just tested with sql*plus - no problems connecting through the Oracle
>products. The problem is with the ODBC. Would turning on the trace locally
>on the client show me the ODBC connection tracing, or would I need to
>perform the capture somewhere else?

The ODBC tracing needs to be enabled using the ODBC administrators applet. You won't see anything in the trace file, but you never know.

>When I turned on ODBC tracing with the ODBC administrator, I saw nothing in
>there to indicate why it takes so long to "connect to datasource". The
>trace file shows a connection being made, with no errors, just that it took
>over a minute to do the actual connection.

At this point I would also like to see: exact version numbering of the ODBC client, exact versions of sqlnet on the client (just click on properties on orawin.dll in %ORACLE_HOME\bin) and on the server. The connect_data string in tnsnames.ora would also do no harm.

You might also want to check whether you have multiple tnsnames.ora floating around and multiple ORACLE_HOMEs (can be check in HKLM\software\oracle). The ODBC driver might be using a different set of configuration files.

>Thanks for any help here...
>Jerry

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed Aug 06 2003 - 16:44:35 CDT