Re: Oracle 8.1.6.0 Install Problems

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 20:38:12 GMT

Hi Sybrand Bakker, thanks for writing this:
> On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:28:53 -0400, "Dave" <JustShutUp_at_azwhole.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Are there any known issues with this and is there a solution for this
> >problem?
> >

> 8.1.6 is a can of worms and has been desupported for more than a year
> now. Upgrade to 8.1.7
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Just an observation, Sybrand, not a criticism. I often hear that this or that version is bug-ridden. That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in Oracle for those new to Oracle. After all, it's not version one ... but version 8 ... and not even 8.0, which *was* a can of worms.

Of course, I've been around Oracle for a very long time and still follow the old rule of never installing Oracle Ver x.0 or x.1, waiting instead for at least Ver x.2 to come out. But Oracle knows about chaps like me ... so they don't do the dots as much ... now it'll be from 10i to 10g. Never did understand why they had to go down to 5 levels of dots (9.2.0.x.x) when the rest of the software industry manages with just one dot. They could call all those extra dots a Service Pack (SP1, SP2, etc). Uh-huh.

Just my Paul Harvey-ish 2 cents worth.

--
[:%s/Karsten Farrell/Oracle DBA/g]