Re: Tracing SQL to find out what is causing hangs

From: Philip Nelson <teamdba_at_scotdb.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 21:37:23 +0100

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 20:44:04 +0200, Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:47:11 +0100, Philip Nelson <teamdba_at_scotdb.com>
> wrote:
>
>>How would I do something similar on Oracle ?
>

> You would better use v$system_event and v$waitstat to check out what
> the database is waiting for.

We've tried that : only problem is that the system views are "point in time" (or are they not ?). I'm not looking for reactive action.

If there's a "hang" situation our first course of events is to get the user operational again as soon as possible. If the easiest way to do this is for them to close down and restart their session then that is fine.

I then want to be able to look back afterwards and follow the chain of events leading up to the point of the "hang". We are not even sure it is a database wait that is the problem (we don't see any locks which would cause a problem when looking through various tools (including querying the raw views).

> This group is not a forum to provide full FOC troubleshoot courses,
> and/ot to teach you Oracle Enterprise Manager and/or TOAD

I'm not looking for a course, just some information. Anyone asking such a question on comp.databases-ibm-db2 would be considered well within scope, and would no doubt get a courteous and helpful response (possibly even from me <G>).

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Philip Nelson
ScotDB Limited
(IBM Certified Solutions Expert : DBA : DB2 UDB for LUW and DB2 for OS/390) (IDUG Solutions Journal Editorial Review Board Member)