Re: Can DBA Jobs be Outsourced ???

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 20:29:59 +0200

On 6 Aug 2003 10:09:18 -0700, ronnie_yours_at_yahoo.com (Ronnie) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>With all the hoopla going on about outsourcing and developing jobs
>being outsourced overseas I was wondering how will that effect DBA
>jobs in US.
>
>Unlike programming where the developer can do the coding anywhere in
>the world the DBA has to be present at the location to do the
>maintenance work.
>
>Will the DBA jobs ever be outsourced overseas and if yes then what are
>the options do we DBA's have to save our jobs.
>
>Thanks
>Ron

Yes, DBA jobs are currently being outsourced, as there is little reason a DBA should reside on location. A DBA in Europe seems to cost $ 36 per hour, in India $18. So the European branch of a large US multinational outsourced everything to India. In fact Oracle is relocating many jobs to India. The dire consequences of that will show soon, as those people only follow scripts.

Your assertion a DBA needs to be on location isn't a valid one. My company does remote DBA for companies in the Netherlands.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed Aug 06 2003 - 13:29:59 CDT