Archive Log continuity

From: R.B <rich.bevan_at_bt.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 16:01:10 +0100

I had a situation where a database (9.2.0.3) which is running in archive log mode had to be restored (by restoring of the Unix files) from the previous night's cpio backup and the archive logs NOT applied i.e work was lost.

Before I opened the database I ran 'archive log list' and found the 'Next log sequence to archive' and moved it (12496) and all subsequent logs to another location and then opened the database as below:

SQL> archive log list

Database log mode              Archive Mode
Automatic archival             Enabled
Archive destination            /arch/FBSP
Oldest online log sequence     12494
Next log sequence to archive   12496
Current log sequence           12496

(moved 12496 and subsequent logs)

SQL> alter database open;

Database altered.

SQL> alter system checkpoint;

System altered.

SQL> alter system switch logfile;

System altered.

The database came up and is running

My questions is

Shutting down the database does appear to perform an archivelog switch but I assume it checkpoints the database so that the save represents the 'complete' database save at that point in time. If this is the case then won't the archive logs be out of sync with the database and therefore would be of no further use, since data has been written to the database but not the archivelogs. If this is the case then does it mean:

  1. I can now longer use previous cold database backups and roll forward using the archivelogs (due to the gap in the middle)
  2. Utilities like flashback queiries and logminer will not also be able to bridge the gap.

Are these the correct assumptions or have gone badly wrong somewhere ?

Thanks Received on Wed Aug 06 2003 - 10:01:10 CDT