Re: DB locks for a beginner

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 6 Aug 2003 06:55:24 -0700

vslabs_at_onwe.co.za (Billy Verreynne) wrote in message news:<1a75df45.0308060153.766525cf_at_posting.google.com>...
> "Francesco" <fmarchioniNIENTESPAM_at_libero.it> wrote ..
>
> > I often come across the word "there's a lock on the db", but I cannot
> > find a clear explanation. My guess is that somebody locked a table
> > with a statement like "select .... for update".
>
> That is one way a lock can be created.
>
> > Can anybody shed some light on it ?
>
> Concepts Manual. Section 16. Transaction Management.
>
> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96524/c17trans.htm#6563

Here are two articles that may be of interest. They are both fairly short but contain working code to display lock information.

How do you find out who is locking a specific row in a table?

        http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/row_locker.html

How do you identify all locked rows in a table ?

        http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/locked_rows.html

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Aug 06 2003 - 08:55:24 CDT