Re: An outage-free upgrade?

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_@peldik.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 15:36:24 +0300

Hi!

Ah, my favourite topic ;)

I've done it the same way with triggers, on a 600GB database, when migrating between platforms.
Another way would be to use snapshot & snapshot logs, or if you don't want to put additional load to you environment, use logminer (which could be somewhat problematic in 8i, because limitedness of 8i logmnr).

Have you checked what is the main performance bottleneck when doing the upgrade?
Usually with these kinds of serial scripts which run a lot of small DDL commands, log file sync will be one of the most seen wait (along with log file parallel write). I've got over it by settinng _wait_for_sync to false. But if your database crashes during this parameter set to false, it is probably corrupt. This is an unsupported parameter, so test it first & be aware of possible consequences.

Tanel.