Re: Book recommendations? (FAQ?)

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 6 Aug 2003 04:07:38 -0700

blueghost73_at_yahoo.com (Richard) wrote in message news:<c3e4d964.0308051951.49911bec_at_posting.google.com>...
> Ok, two questions:
>
> First, I'm looking for book recommendations for learning Oracle. I
> understand
> general db concepts from past experience with other types of databases
> (Image
> on MPE/iX, if that means anything to any of you, though I doubt if
> many of you
> (if any) have any idea what I'm talking about). I've also recently
> learned some
> basics of how to write simple SQL queries, but I'm still mostly a
> beginner at
> this stuff. My main focus at first is going to be learning to dig for
> data,
> but I'd also like to learn all the stuff that every good Oracle DBA
> needs to
> know.
>
> My big pet peeve in computer books is introductory books that give you
> just
> enough information to want to know more, while stopping just short of
> getting
> into the meat of the subject. Needless to say, I really hate the
> "Dummies"
> series. I'm not enough of a dummy for them, even when the book is on a
> subject
> that I know nothing about. I always come out of those books with more
> questions
> than answers.
>
> Just to throw a wrench in the works, I have to learn SQL Server at the
> same
> time as Oracle. This could be interesting, as I've been told that
> they're
> similar enough to make some of the basics useful in both, but
> different enough
> that I'm going to spend half my time trying to remember which details
> that I
> learned were for which database.
>
> Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 21 Days seems like it could be a pretty
> good
> starting point. I've noticed that the books published by Oracle are
> popular, but I've found that technical doc published by the company
> that makes a
> product is often better to use as a reference than a tutorial. Is that
> true
> in this case? Anyone have any thoughts on these or other books (both
> for
> Oracle and SQL)?
>
> Second question: Is there an FAQ for this newsgroup? And the bonus
> question:
> are there book recommendations in the FAQ? :)
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
>
> --Richard

otn.oracle.com
click on documentation and 9i database
read the Concepts Document.
Also read the SQL Reference(skim it) sql is a little different between databases
and you can screw up if you dont know the diverences. Also read the Developers fundamentals guide.

as far as learning oracle. do you want to know administration or development? If you want to learn development. Learn SQL, then get Fuersteins PL/SQL book. Received on Wed Aug 06 2003 - 06:07:38 CDT