Re: 8.1.7 on RH7.3 database creation problems.

From: dbuckingham <member8912_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 06:56:20 +0000

My problem regarding the error:
ORA-01012: not logged in

was resolved when I found out that my NLS_LANG environment variable was set incorrrectly. Once I removed this from .bash_profile (I had set it there previously), I was able to connect.

I gave up on running the create database script, and instead did it the log way by typing it out via server manager. This has created the database, system.dbf file, control files and redo logs, however, I am now hit with the error:

SVRMGR> startup pfile=/sdc1/tempus2/pfile/inittempus2.ora ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area                         72704160 bytes
Fixed Size                                          73888 bytes
Variable Size                                    55681024 bytes
Database Buffers                                 16777216 bytes
Redo Buffers                                       172032 bytes
ORA-01990: error opening password
     file '/sda1/oracle/product/8.1.7.0.1/dbs/orapw'

If I try and look for this file, it does not exist! I cannot find it anywhere on the system.

Do I need to create a password file? if so how do I do it in Linux? I am a bit of a Linux/Oracle newbie.

Thanks.