Re: analyzing slow connections

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 22:33:54 +0200

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 15:47:02 -0400, "Jerry Dubuke" <jdubuke_at_not.gpdservices.com> wrote:

>Interesting that you bring this up as I am now looking at somewhat the same
>issue. I inherited an 8.0.6 database running on Windows NT 4.0 server, and
>if I try to connect via ODBC using MSQuery in excel (for example), the
>"connecting to datasource" mesage will stay on-screen for between 7 and 30
>seconds. I cannot for the life of me figure out why, and if I use a second
>ODBC connection to a "test" database (another physical box with 8.0.6
>running on NT server as well), it connects immediately!
>Not being a *dba* by trade, I am confused as to where to begin diagnosing
>this particular problem. In reading up on how oracle and ODBC connect, I
>got extremely confused as to how the connections get established.
>Any help from anyone here would be greatly appreciated!
>Jerry D.
>
>"Ed Stevens" <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message
>> Platform: Oracle 8.1.7.1 on AIX.
>>
>> I've been given a head's-up that a project is being put together to
>> figure out why an app is experiencing delays in connecting/starting
>> up. Mostly will be looking at application code and tracing network
>> issues (this being done by the network and server admins) but there
>> will be some attention to Oracle itself. Notice that once the app is
>> up and started they seem to be happy -- it's just statup/connect
>> delays that are of concern. With that in mind, what should I be
>> looking at, and what should I be prepared for?

The advice, to have sqlnet produce trace files on support level has been provided here many, many, many times before. But then, alas, nobody searches google prior to posting. And this time I'm not going to repeat the advice, also because it is documented in the net8 adminstrators manual.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Aug 05 2003 - 15:33:54 CDT