Re: OEM custom events

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 15:07:59 -0500

On 5 Aug 2003 13:57:01 GMT, Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net> wrote:

>Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in
>
>> On 4 Aug 2003 19:34:35 GMT, Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I am trying to set up a custom event in OEM 9.2. It looks like all you
>>>can return in a custom test is a single value (one row, one column). I
>>>want to return a value see if the event needs to be triggered and a
>>>more descriptive report if it is triggered. Knowing that a problem
>>>exists is almost useless unless you know where the problem is.
>>>
>>>For example I want to see if there are any segments that can allocate
>>>< 2 extents before the tablespace is out of space. I want a critical
>>>alert if 0 extents can be allocated and a warning if 1 can be. The
>>>problem is I can only return one row with one column to the event
>>>processor. When the event triggers the associated message is simply
>>>"current value: n" where n is 0 or 1. I want it to list all segments
>>>that are in danger of not allocating the next extent and how many
>>>extents they can allocate. Can this be done?
>>
>> Why not just use the stock "tablespace full" event?
>
>Because that is based on percent full and the tablespaces in question are
>so large they will always be at 99 percent full - even when there's enough
>room for the tables to grow for another month. The tablespaces will always
>be in warning or alarm state which is almost as bad as not monitoring them
>at all. I'm sure at some point the alarms will start being ignored.

Ah, "I see", said the blind man.

With that restriction, I still have a gut feel that there is an easier way to solve this, but off hand, can't think of any.

If I understand (that is sometimes a very big "if") the standard tablespace full alert would work if it could be tuned down to something like "alert when 99.9995 % full, alarm when 99.9997 % full" Not that it can be that fine, but if it could . . . . am I right?

<snip> Received on Tue Aug 05 2003 - 15:07:59 CDT