Re: Multiple tablepaces

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 17:10:56 GMT

The Oracle 9i Concepts Guide can help you immensely. You can find a copy at http://tahiti.oracle.com if you are interested. In it, you will find that tablespaces contains database segments. Tables and indexes are two different segment types. Views, procedures, and sequences are not segments and therefore are not stored in tablespaces, with the exception that the *definition* of views, procedures, and sequences are stored in the data dictionary, in the SYSTEM tablespace.

Why would you not put everything into one large tablespace? Let me answer that with another question. Why would you not put all of your papers into one large box? Why go through the trouble of putting papers into folders? Because you want to organize them in a better way. You can organize segments by segment type, segment size, and application usage. There are other reasons as well, but I won't spoil it all for you. The Concepts Guide can help you.

HTH,Brian

Carl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am an Oracle newbie and I am trying to teach myself by doing some
> exercises. For this one project I am supposed to create three table
> spaces that contains:
>
> 1) Tables, views and procedures.
> 3) Sequences
>
> How would I go about to do this and what is actually the primary
> advantages not putting everything in the same tablespace?
>
> Very grateful for some hints,
>
> /Carl

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com