REOPEN option of LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n init.ora parameter

From: John van Eck <jr.van.eck_at_dordrecht.nl>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 16:14:10 +0200

Hello,

I am interested to hear some opinions about the REOPEN option of the LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n init.ora parameter (Oracle8i and Oracle9i).

I want to use one archive destination and want to be sure that archiving succeeds, so I am planning to use the following parameter: LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1 = 'location=/u01/oracle/log/arch MANDATORY REOPEN'

REOPEN now defaults to 300 seconds because I have not included a value (integer in seconds).

But if you for example would run out of disk space, free the disk space by removing older archive logs (that of course are written to tape). I would want to have the archiver resume writing to the archive destination as soon as possible, so I would argue that REOPEN should be as low as possible, so actually 1 (0 is not using REOPEN).

Are there any downside in having a value of REOPEN=1 in this situation that anyone can think off?
Would there be a reason for Oracle to set the default value at 300?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
John van Eck
Oracle DBA
Gemeente Dordrecht
The Netherlands Received on Tue Aug 05 2003 - 09:14:10 CDT