Re: How to check the memory usage at a point in time, for unix system?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 21:06:04 +0800

Jeffrey Yee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a RP5470 server, with 2G of memory, 4 CPUs, running on HP-UX
> B.11.11 (11i) os. I have intention to follow the rule of thumb of
> allocating 55% of the memory for the only Oracle instance.
>
> Unfortunately, after allocating 210M of memory to SGA (SGA_MAX_SIZE),
> the PerfView (HP resource & performance management product) says that
> the GLB_MEM_UTIL (% of physical memory in use) is 100%. I don't quite
> believe what I see. Is there a way that I can confirm this, by running
> some UNIX command? I'm looking for information similar to windows 2000
> Server Task Manager/Performance tab, giving the total memory usage and
> the total physical memory.
>
> Please please help, as my database buffer cache hit ratio is only
> about 30%. Thank you in advance.
>
> Best Regards,
> Jeffrey

Memory doesn't last longer if you don't use it. Just about every unix out there will show memory used as 'zero' because it makes no sense to hold back memory for something else.

Use vmstat and keep an eye on the scan rate (sr)

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"