Re: How widespread is the use of triggers these days and how concerned about performance?....

From: Andras Kovacs <andkovacs_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Aug 2003 04:59:55 -0700

In our departement triggers ARE USED and are very useful !!! Before I landed here the last think that I wanted to use were triggers.
My opinion has changed since ....

We have a very large database that grows around 300GB per year. We are a utility company so the system is up 365/24.

Triggers have been installed to correct application problems. The trigger creation took less than 3 hours. The application redesign could have takes month and million of $. On every single insert there are two triggers: one is to rectify values and their precision and the other to rectify timestamps. I can tell you that once we have installed the triggers we didn't notice any performance issues. Oracle manages very well triggers.

My advise is "when needed use it". However when designing applications I still recommend to avoid using triggers.

Oracle EE 8.1.7.4 and Oracle EE 9.2.0.3. Windows 2000 adv. Compaq DL380 (soon decommissioned for a DL580). Received on Tue Aug 05 2003 - 06:59:55 CDT