Re: How widespread is the use of triggers these days and how concerned about performance?....

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 22:47:01 +0100

"Fred Prose" <fprose_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:195a4770.0308040641.5e3682c5_at_posting.google.com...
> I have been teaching Database Design and administration (for a major
> vendor) and a working, hands-on DBA for 20+ years. One thing I have
> learned and tried to pass on to my students is that ultimately "the
> buck stops here." It does not matter that a programmer's faulty logic
> or the careless use of an interactive SQL tool corrupted the database,
> it's the DBA's fault for not preventing it from happening.

<snip>
> So, to me, triggers, check constraints, and referential integrity
> become the last bastion of control. I do not wish to do a
> programmer's job for him and I consider many of the UDF's, Stored
> Procedures, and even triggers issues that could and should be handled
> at the program level. But to paraphrase the marketing slogan for an
> overnight delivery company: When it absolutely, positively got to be
> done ....

lets invalidate the support contract...? Seriously much of what you say makes sense only in the context of an organization that

  1. has well defined business rules and
  2. has in-house development.

What are you going to do with SAP,PSFT,Oracle Financials,JDE etc? slap some extra constraints and RI on them?

Cos IMO that is what most DBAs are dealing with. Received on Mon Aug 04 2003 - 16:47:01 CDT