Re: Advise for a pseudo-data warehouse?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 19:16:22 GMT

> It seems like it would offer a lot of advantages. We are already
> generating redo logs on the production machine, so I don't think there
> would be much overhead added to the production machine. Would it?

Your load on the production server would depend on *how* you configure the Standby database. There are four modes of protection and each one has its pros and cons. In Guaranteed mode, you have the most impact on the production database since ever transaction cannot commit until it is written to both the production and the standby database's online redo logs. In Delayed mode, you have the least impact, but the most data loss. The Oracle docs have much more information for you.

> One concern I have though, is the robustness of the net8 transfer of
> the redo logs from the production machine to the standby machine? The
> redo logs would go over a WAN, and thus might be susceptible to blips
> in the connection. Is the transferring of the redo logs over net8
> robust enough to recover from this, or would the transfer just fail
> and not restart?

Oracle 9i's Data Guard includes the ability to recover from lost transfers of redo logs, depending on the mode mentioned above. The FAL server and FAL client assist in recovering lost transfers of redo logs.

> Also, an additional requirement, is for data from another database
> (Microsoft SQL Server) to be available in this standby database. Is
> this possible? It seems that when a database is set up as a standby
> machine, it is basically a slave to the main database, and no
> operations can be performed on it. Is that the case? Maybe import the
> SQL Server data into a different tablespace?

When the standby database is in managed standby mode, then it will only incur transactions that happen on the production database (or another standby database). And when it is Read Only, you can only read and not write transactions. So you won't be able to apply anything new from SQL Server. If this is a requirement, then Standby and Data Guard is probably not going to work for you.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com