Advise for a pseudo-data warehouse?

From: Terence <terence_potter_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 4 Aug 2003 11:40:04 -0700

Hello:

We are looking into setting up a database that is a mirror of our production environment for querying only. Running of queries in our production environment has proven to be too much of a strain on resources. I have been researching setting up this mirrored machine as a standby database in the managed environment (but we could also do the manual option). It could then be queried when in "read only" mode. It seems like it would offer a lot of advantages. We are already generating redo logs on the production machine, so I don't think there would be much overhead added to the production machine. Would it? One concern I have though, is the robustness of the net8 transfer of the redo logs from the production machine to the standby machine? The redo logs would go over a WAN, and thus might be susceptible to blips in the connection. Is the transferring of the redo logs over net8 robust enough to recover from this, or would the transfer just fail and not restart?

Also, an additional requirement, is for data from another database (Microsoft SQL Server) to be available in this standby database. Is this possible? It seems that when a database is set up as a standby machine, it is basically a slave to the main database, and no operations can be performed on it. Is that the case? Maybe import the SQL Server data into a different tablespace?

I know these are kind of vague questions. I can provide more info on our requirements if anybody is curious....

Thanks! Received on Mon Aug 04 2003 - 13:40:04 CDT