Moving Oracle 8i DB from /abc to /def

From: Steve N. <steven_nospam_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: 4 Aug 2003 11:12:43 -0700

Hi All,

I have an Oracle 8.1.6 (Enterprise Ed.) database that has a UNIX datafile-based configuration. Its laid out in a directory structure that starts with /live. I want to take a copy of that database and place it in /save. We are not using RMAN.

At present, we know of two ways to do this:

  1. Export all the data, then import it into another database.
  2. Use exp with TRANSPORT_TABLESPACE, copy all the files into the new directory, then imp the metadata.

Both of these are very time consuming. I was wondering if there was a way to shutdown the database, simply copy all the data files to the new directory, then somehow tell the control file to find the data files in the new directory instead of where they were previously.

Does anyone know how this might be done? I've had to recover from a lost controlfile before so I know we can recreate that using trace files, so I was thinking it may be possible to alter the file paths so that it finds the new files in the new location in the process...

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

Regards,

SteveN. Received on Mon Aug 04 2003 - 13:12:43 CDT